An enduring geological mystery. A world-famous mineral deposit. And, it’s all right here in a New Jersey museum, just an hour’s drive from New York’s George Washington Bridge!
The industrial complex that was once the Sterling Hill zinc mine is now open to the public as the Sterling Hill Mining Museum.
Join us for Underground Mine Tours, fantastic displays of "glow-in-the-dark" fluorescent minerals, extensive outdoor displays of mining machinery, and exhibit halls packed with things you've probably never seen before!
Teachers: Our mining museum offers a wide variety of educational opportunities for professional development and student activities — just click on the Education link to get started.
Kids of any age can do geology field work in our in Rock Discovery Center by collecting 6 different types of rocks which they get to keep. At our Fossil Discovery Center you can collect lots of different fossils and take home 6 of them.
Our onsite Astronomical Observatory offers monthly night viewings. Come see the moon, stars, mars and more. All of these activities are fun learning expediences for school groups, scouts and birthday parties.
Mineral Collecting: Permitted daily on the Mine Run dump, 10:00 am - 3:00 pm.
Fees: $5 admission plus $1.50/lb for all material taken. Please call ahead.
In addition to both indoor and outdoor mineral, fossil, and gem dealers, this show features extended mine tours, day-and-night mineral collecting, a show banquet plus auction, and the Sterling Hill Garage Sale. (See the Calendar page for a full description of the event.)
• Take a tour of the mine.
• Take a private tour of the newly opened historic Trotter Tunnel.
• For this event ONLY, take a tour of the Upper Mine and Mill where you will receive a “Last day of operation” ore specimen right off the conveyor belt (certificate included).
• The ever-popular Blackout Tour of the mine “Tunnel of Love” (safety glasses required).
• See the nighttime illumination of the famous “Fluorescent Wall” in the Fill Quarry.
• And, collect minerals in all 3 collection areas on the property.
With so much to do you may want to stay for a day or two!
The Sterling Hill MIning Museum
Our mission is to tell the story of the Sterling Hill Mine and to
inspire learning about earth sciences, engineering, and the responsible
use of the earth’s nonrenewable resources.